Louisiana Fishing License is a top fishing spot in the United States. Some even claim it is the best fishing ground in the country. With its thousands of acres, the state offers both fresh and saltwater fishing. You will find freshwater fishing opportunities in the state’s bayous, lakes and rivers, as well as estuaries and reservoirs. Saltwater fishing is possible along the long stretch of coastline that runs along the Gulf of Mexico.
A Louisiana Fishing License is required before you can hook the first largemouth bass, or bluegill, in Bayou Segnett and Red River. This license can be purchased online or over the phone at the Department of Wildlife. It is easy to purchase. After purchase, an authorization number will be issued. Louisiana has fishing license requirements. There are also restrictions on bag size and slot limits.
Purchase an LA Fishing License Online
Types of LA Fishing Licenses and Fees
The state has established fishing regulations and laws to protect and conserve its waterways, and fish populations. Specific fishing regulations are in place for designated waterways and zones. These regulations are subject to modification based on the current status and assessment of fish population.
Louisiana Fishing License Regulations
The preservation and conservation of Louisiana’s fish populations is a priority. While offshore fishing is the best way to catch grouper and snapper in the Gulf of Mexico, it is important that you learn how to properly catch and release these deep-water fish. Deep water fish can be decompressed if they are brought to the surface. The survival rates of deep-water fish increase if they are released with a ventin or descender.
Fishing is a favorite outdoor activity, especially among Americans. Anglers know that Louisiana is a unique place where they can have the most fun on the water. Before you can catch largemouth bass in Shreveport’s Red River or Bayou Segnette State Park’s spotted seatrout, you will need a Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries fishing license.
Depending on the type of license and its validity, the license you buy will grant you access to Louisiana’s vibrant fishing sites. Some privileges may exclude some people from getting a license. However, it is always a good idea to get one before you row your boat up the river.
You may be wondering how to buy a Louisiana fishing license. This article will cover everything you need to know regarding fishing licenses and regulations, so you can get the trophy-sized rainbow trout you desire!
Who must have a Louisiana Fishing License
All anglers over 16 years old must purchase a fishing license to fish in Louisiana waters. Anglers (resident and non-resident) must have a Basic Fishing License to be able to use the following equipment or possess fish caught in Louisiana waters for recreational purposes.
- Bow and arrow
- A barbless or barbed spear
- Frog gig/catcher
- Scuba gear
- Hook and line (trotline)
- Cast net at a radius of not more than 8 feet 6 inches
- Reel and rod
It is important to understand that Louisiana state law has established a “saltwater boundary” for fishing in South Louisiana. This line was drawn to separate saltwater and freshwater areas within the state. A Basic Fishing License is required for fishing north of the “saltwater” line. You will need a Saltwater License if you are fishing south of the “saltwater limit” for saltwater species. It is a good rule of thumb to get a Saltwater License if you plan to fish in South Louisiana for any saltwater species.
Notable is the fact that special rates are available for students, seniors, military personnel, and persons with disabilities.
Who is exempt from the requirement to obtain a Louisiana Fishing License
Louisiana also considered several factors when requiring fishing licenses from fishermen who wish to fish in its waters. There were several exceptions to this rule. These are the guidelines that the state must follow to determine whether or not to exempt someone who is subject to the licensing requirement.
Non-residents and residents under 16 years old (i.e. age 15 and below)
Louisiana residents born after June 1, 1940 and who have lived in Louisiana for six consecutive months.
For those who are eligible for exemption by virtue of their age, it is important to bring proof of age with you whenever you fish. This could be a photo ID or SSN. Residents born after June 1, 1940 must also have the appropriate licenses for fishing equipment.
How do I purchase a Louisiana fishing license?
There are many ways to purchase a Louisiana fishing licence. The easiest way to purchase a Louisiana fishing license is online through the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries license sales portal. You can also pay online. You can purchase a license online by going to this website. You can pay online with Visa, MasterCard and Discover. There is a $2.00 handling fee.
You can also purchase a Louisiana fishing license by visiting any LDWF office (Baton Rouge or Alexandria, Lake Charles, Monroe or Opelousas). Not to be overlooked is the fact that recreational fishing licenses are available for purchase starting June 1, and remaining valid through June 30, each year.
There are many types
Louisiana has many fishing permits and licenses. Prices for each permit vary depending on whether the owner is a resident or not. Below is a list of all available licenses you can buy in Louisiana.
A Basic Fishing License is required for anglers 16 years of age or older who wish to fish in Louisiana waters. It costs $9.50 for residents and $60.00 for non-residents. Saltwater anglers should purchase a Saltwater License, which is an additional license to the BFL. It costs $13 (residents), and $30.00 (nonresidents).
Non-residents can also purchase a fishing license for $5 for a basic trip or $17.50 for saltwater. Senior citizens can also purchase a fishing/hunting license at a reduced rate of $5
Students, military personnel, and people with disabilities have different rates for fishing permits and licenses. For a complete list, please see the table below.
- SUN PROTECTION: Columbia Men’s PFG Bahama II Long Sleeve fishing shirt features our signature UPF 30 fabric that helps to blocks UVA and UVA rays to help prevent sunburns and skin damage during long hours in the sun.
- HANDY FEATURES: This long sleeve fishing shirt features two handy chest pockets with velcro closure for convenient storing and roll-up sleeves.
- COMFORT & BREATHABILITY: Hidden vents at the shoulders and 100% nylon quick dry fabric make for a shirt that’s breathable and comfortable during any outdoor activity.
- RELAXED FIT: A relaxed, lightweight fit make this fishing shirt the ultimate choice for casual days outside as well as for activity out on the water.
- OMNI-SHADE: Be safe and protected. Omni-Shade blocks UVA and UVB rays to help prevent sunburns and long-term skin damage. The tight weave construction with UV absorbent yarns block the full spectrum of harmful UV rays.
- Large size fishing lures set: 2.5’’- 3’’ / Heavy weighted body: 0.25 – 0.28 oz / larger and heavier design to catch big fish
- Each trout lures comes with a sharp treble hooks with brightly colored strike-attractor sleeves
- The packing box makes you more convenient to use and restock. Rooster tail fishing lures is both for Freshwater and Saltwater
- Premium quality blade provides continuous flash and vibration. They are designed for bass fishing and trout fishing, named bass lures and trout lures as well
- Deadly on Bass, Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike and Salmon
- 🐬【Full Kit】30 pieces with 1 Fishing rod + 1 Fishing reel + Fishing line + Various fishing lures+ Fishing hooks + Some necessary Accessories + Carrier bag.
- 🐬【High Quality】The carry bag is made of high quality nylon, large capacity allows to load more tools you need and carry everywhere you want to fishing. Perfect for freshwater bass trout fishing, saltwater fishing and inshore fishing. Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass make your fishing pole hard & durable. Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seats is anti-seawater corrosion; EVA Fore Grip for comfort.
- 🐬【Easy to Cast】The folding size of fishing rod is 42cm/16.53in and the stretching length is 240cm/94.48in. It is simple to cast and then retrieve the fishing line. This fishing reel reduces tangles with the push button casting system. Reel arrives pre-spooled, no assembly needed. This fishing pole kit is perfect for any beginner fisherman.
- 🐬【Perfect Gift for You and Your Fishing Friends!】It collapses down nice and tiny, and comes with everything you need to let you put a hook in the water. It’s got the rod, and the reel. It is fully stocked with everything you need to catch their first fish!
- 🐬【100% Satisfaction】 We accept no reason return in 7 days policy. Please feel free to contact us. All questions can be answered by email and we will reply to you within 12 hours.